Friday, September 25, 2009

[USS Charon] SD240909.25 - Personal Log "My Life" - Shiarrael Rehu

[USS Charon]

Exiting sickbay Shiarrael gently massaged her temples feeling a slight pounding- behind her the honor guard left sickbay carrying the two torpedo casings.  Every officer in the corridor stopped to salute as the flagged draped coffins passed.  At the entrance to the lift Shiarrael stopped "have a shuttle take them down to the planet.  The Lyrillians have a representative that will greet you and direct you to the burial site.  Comm- Mister Ceer will also accompany you.  He is acting Ambassador to the Lyrillians."

"Yes sir."  The lead guard saluted and entered the lift with the others.  When the doors closed Shiarrael let out a small breath and spoke a silent prayer in Rihannsu.  However, her moment was cut short by the chirping of her commbadge.

"Commodore, we have received a message from the Sunheart.  They say that the guest that you are waiting for is beaming aboard."


She grimaced "the living must continue to live" and pressed her commbadge "understood.  Inform them that I will meet the guest in transporter room one."

[Transporter Room 1]

When Shiarrael entered the transporter room her guest was already standing on the transporter PADD.  She was a tall and beautiful Romulan woman.  Her raven hair flowed down to her waist and her olive skin was accentuated by the long violet colored robe she wore "Shiarrael-" the woman stepped off the PADD and approached her.  Shiarrael remained still as the woman reached out and slapped her "how dare you disgrace us."

Shiarrael bowed her head after getting slapped "forgive my insolence but it was necessary."  She lifted her head and stared down the woman "my disgrace is my own, mother, and I will wear it with pride while the Zorek snivel in the feces of their hlai pens."

"You still speak big."  She sighed "the damage is done so there is no going back."  Shiarrael's mother looked around the transporter "bland but spacious.  So this is your home?"  Her mother ran a finger across the transporter room's back wall.  After inspecting her finger she grimaced "apparently your servants" she looked at the transporter chief "do not understand the meaning of cleanliness."

"They are colleagues not servants."  Shiarrael corrected and led her mother into the adjacent corridor.  She was relieved that her mother was too busy inspecting everything to speak but she knew the moment would come soon.  "Computer Bridge."  Her mother looked at her surprised as the lift moved.

[Bridge/Briefing Room]

When it stopped Shiarrael led her mother out and nodded to the crew as she entered the briefing room.  Certainly it would have been better if Engineering and Operation had the issues on decks two and three rectified but without the lounge or her quarters the briefing room's view was the next best place to host her mother.  Sitting on the conference table was the bottle of Rhennish that Sakarra had given her.  Shiarrael motioned to the collection of chairs "take a seat" and began pouring two glasses of the violet colored liquid.  Handing one of them to her mother she sat down at the head of the table and sipped her drink.

Her mother was a bit more cautious but finally took the seat one row down and to Shiarrael rights.  Sipping the drink her mother's expression looked surprised again "Aanikh Rhennish?  I see you have kept your taste."

"Taste is something hard to lose."  Shiarrael folded her hands onto the table "why have you come here?"

Her mother glanced up from the drink "why would I not come to see my daughter and grandchildren?  Your father is stubborn but I am his master."  She downed the entire glass of rhennish in one gulp "he still has no forgiven you.  It will take time, the old can be stubborn but he will soften in time."  She seemed to study Shiarrael "is this life truly what you want?  Being among these people?"

"They're good people."  Shiarrael sighed and looked out the window at Lyrila which still dominated Charon's view "I asked myself that question many times after I agreed to lead this mission.  At times I truly wondered if this was where I wanted to be but I have learned something I could never have in the Empire."  She looked back at her mother "I have lead thousands into battle and I have taken the lives of thousands.  In all that time I have only known death but here- I have learned about life.  What it means to live, what it means to save life, and cherish it."  She smiled "without hesitation this where I want to be and where I will stay."

"You have certainly changed."  Her mother sighed "but I will not go against your will.  As long as I live you will have a home in the empire."  The sound of the conference room doors opening grabbed her attention.  One of the teachers from the children center entered carrying Nnoil and Ael.  Her mother jumped up suddenly in surprise "are these my grand children?"  Her expression softened considerably.

"Meet Nnoil and Ael."  Shiarrael said smiling.

[End]

Commodore Shiarrael Rehu
Commanding Officer
USS Charon