Tuesday, November 17, 2009

[USS Charon] SD240911.18 - Personal Back Log "Reversing the Pendulum VII" - Shiarrael Rehu

13 years ago

[New Zealand, Earth]

It is true that most a born with instincts.  Many allow them to become dull through lack of use or lack of trust- however Shiarrael always found her instincts useful to the point that she regularly honed them.  It was in the shrillness of the seeping amber morning-light that she 'felt' someone was watching her.  Instead of jumping up she allowed her senses to slowly attune to the setting.  She could hear breathing, she could feel breath, she could smell breath, and in finality after gauging the individual's position she shot up from her bed and slammed her elbow towards them.  It was in the instant that she realized her observer that she stopped not a mere centimeter from cracking his forehead skull "it is unwise to interrupt someone's slumber, and quite rude.  Consider yourself fortunate that I was not loss in morning stupor."

"I'm sorry; I did not mean to startle you."  Commander Watanabe smiled.  His deep olive skin almost had a golden aura in the morning sunlight.  "I guess you also deserve an explanation.  I just wanted to see if Romulans expressed the deep evil in their slumber that they do when they are awake."

"The truth is likely more depraved but I will not dwell on it for you would have not gotten far before I twisted something awry."  Shiarrael walked over to the small cabinets that lined the walls of her small room and popped one open.  Pulling out a packet of 'instant' tea she poured the powdered substance into a small plastic cup and then filled it with hot water from the faucet.  After stirring the mix with a finger she sipped at it.  It certainly wasn't luxurious but it tasted better then the bitter water did so alone "so what reason do I owe the pleasure of your visit?"  Shiarrael threw a rather annoyed glance at the commander "or was it simply to watch me 'sleep?'"

"I assure you it was nothing depraved."  The Commander swallowed and tugged on his collar at her suggestion "the reason I came here is because you have become quite famous.  I heard about your little tryst with a game of chess the other day. A lot of the prisoners have been talking about you.  They were quite impressed by the display and I must say I am rather curious.  Is it true that was the first time you ever played chess?  Sydney Solae was the reigning penal champ last year- no one's beaten him in quite awhile.  You taking him down in one game was quite the feat."

Shiarrael let a short rush of breath escape her lips in a most obvious display of irritation "chess is simply a game of strategy commander.  Once you understand the rules you understand the game."  She shook her head "until that day I had never played this chess game but I have played strategy many times over in my life.  I simply gauged the situation- and well, with a little cleverness on my part.  I won easily."  A slight smirk appeared on her face "how does winning a simple game bring me such fame?"

"Sydney is very popular among the prisoners.  He has been an idea inmate."  Watanabe frowned "it's truly a pity that he ended up here.  However, I did not come here to discuss him.  I came here to discuss you.  If you hadn't heard by now the war has ended.  We are currently discussing matters of treaty- but a prisoner exchange is likely soon.  You'll probably be here for another week- why don't you take the time to get to know a few of the prisoners?"

The news wasn't shocking by any means but it did cause Shiarrael to pause for thought.  Will I soon be dead?  There was some irony in that- but I am ready, I have been ready since my right was stolen.  Her violet eyes looked directly into Watanabe's "I have no interest in them."

"I'm sorry to hear that."  Watanabe frowned and looked at the door "however one of them does want to meet you.  You seemed to have made an impression on him."

The rugged looking Sydney Solae was standing at the doorway flanked by two security personnel.  "Sorry to intrude."  He said and looked at Watanabe who simply nodded his head and walked out.  Walking into the room he bowed his head and then looked around.

"I assure you this room is just as barren as my real quarters are."  The thought instantly pained Shiarrael.  Her real quarters were no more.  It had either been ripped apart by Starfleet searching for any secrets, of which there were none, for she was just as ill informed about matters as they were.  Or it had long sense been vaporized to be part of the universe once again, she closed her eyes briefly to let the melancholy fade "in short there is nothing to see.  Sit down if you must" she pointed to the bed, the only place to sit in the cramped room "would you like some tea?  It is rather disgusting but I am assured it is more nutritious then the liquid manure it resembles."

Sydney laughed, hard.  His eyes grew and the tentativeness seemed to fade as he sat down on the bed "sorry, I haven't really been around a Romulan before.  The rumors suggested you were quite vicious- I wasn't sure how to approach you so I asked Hiroshi if it was okay.  I didn't know if Starfleet had you on quarantine or anything and I'm not thirsty.  I prefer the bottled water they bring up from Brisbane every other week."

"I can be quite vicious Mister Solae.  Like any animal when cornered or agitated to the point of biting."  She smirked and sat down next to him "so, perhaps you can tell me the reason for your visit?  If you are wishing for a rematch I will acquiesce but the outcome will likely be in your favor this time."

"No, no, I just wanted to talk."  He sighed and fell back on the bed "I was surprised when you beat me and so fast.  I haven't been beaten in so long that the game was becoming a little boring.  Getting beat actually made it fun again you know?"  Sydney chuckled "I just wanted to know more about you.  I already know a lot but that was all just rumors."

"There is usually some truth in rumor, some fantasy, and usually a mix of both."  Shiarrael looked at him, he was unusual from the humans she had met before; they tended to be tense around her, ever cautious.  Not that she blamed them, there was a human saying 'beware of Romulans bearing gifts' of course she later learned it was modified from an older version of similar meaning, but the truth was still there.  Romulans are not to be trusted.  Not that she trusted her own people.  "Most of what you heard is likely true in some ways."

"Not that."  Sydney waved it off with his hand "I wanted to know about you, your family.  I'll get started; I was born in Morocco, an old nation on the North African continent.  My father was a small businessman and my mother was a housewife.  I decided to join Starfleet when I was ten after watching a military parade in Paris.  I was married once, had two daughters.  When I was arrested my wife divorced me and I haven't seen my girls since.  Your turn."

Could this be a Starfleet ploy?  She wondered.  But then it didn't make sense.  Starfleet already knew about her past life, they wouldn't need to use such ridiculous subversion tactics to get her details.  With a quiet sigh she nodded her head "if you insist, I was born in Nn'Verih, a ship bloc nation along the north edge of Ch'Rihan.  My family is of S'Rehu one of the oldest and noble clans in the Empire.  Both my parents served in the Rei'Krannsu.  My father is the son of Jamor tr'Sahen, one of the highest ranking generals in the legions and my mother's father is Verol tr'Rehu- a former soldier in the Galae and a simple gardener now."  She could see her grandfather tr'Rehu now, his crystal eyes ever gazing through her with such a formidable aura that seemed to envelope his person.  "I am aristocrat but it is a title I have long abhorred.  I have always preferred the hands on approach of street gangs- I enjoy blood, carnage.  I joined the Galae at age sixteen defying my father's will that I train to be Rei'Krannsu.  I served as a patrol vessel commander during the war against the Dominion- and every war since."  She could see the wonder in Solae's eyes as she mentioned how far her service went back.  Perhaps because her people were such unlike Vulcans that many forget that they age just as slow as their cousins "was this adequate?"

"I didn't realize you were so" he seemed to think on his words for a few long seconds before continuing "that you were so decorated."  Sydney smiled and sat up "though, if you don't mind me asking, what exactly is the Rei'Krannsu?  The name sounds majestic so it must be something special right?"

"Special?"  Shiarrael snorted "if only that.  I will not elaborate but suffice to say the Rei'Krannsu is nothing but a group of fools with overdeveloped self worth.  Much like my father they do nothing but claim greatness.  Indeed they might be well trained but would one's mind not rot if they did not find a moment to actually use it to think?"  She shook her head "I would have rather shoveled a thousand hlai pens then joined the Rei'Krannsu."

"I see."  Sydney laughed and stood up "well, I just wanted to know more about the person who beat me.  I guess she really does live up to her reputation."  He started to walk out but stop "I am curious though.  I heard you drove a Vulcan crazy that tried to meld with you?  Is that just a rumor?"

She shook her head "no, but I would not exaggerate to say that I drove him crazy.  I simply reduce his ability to cope by overwhelming him with powerful emotions during his forced mind-touch.  Vulcans find it difficult to handle emotions when they are poured upon their psyche.  He will recover and he will certainly despise me for quite some time."  She expressed a little humor at the last bit with a half-hearted chuckle.

Sydney simply shook his head and laughed "I'll have to remember that one for later." He said as he walked out.

[End]