Friday, November 6, 2009

[USS Charon] SD240911.06 - Personal Back Log "Check" - Shiarrael t'Rehu

(OOC: This log occurs after we leave Lyrilla but before we neared the nebulas)

[USS Charon, Captain's Quarters]


Shiarrael sat quietly on her bed and her hands sunk into covers as she supported her weight on them while she watched the stars pass by the bedroom windows.  Nnoil and Ael were sound asleep behind her and she didn't want to disturb their slumber by climbing into the sheets.  Instead she made herself available to her thoughts as she watched the almost mesmerizing view of the passing stars.  As always during quiet nights she found herself drawn to such views and lost in thoughts of life.  Sadly recalling her childhood home she wondered if she would ever see it again.  After reuniting with her mother she found herself reminiscing more and more.  After all I have done- do I now regret the life I have chosen?  She tossed a somber glance at both her children and then reached out and carefully caressed their sleeping visages. 

The sound of the door chime interrupted her thoughts.  Relieved that the twins were not awakened Shiarrael slipped on a robe over her night linens and made her way into the living room.  "Enter" she said loud enough to be heard but not too loud as to disturb her sleeping children.  When the doors parted she was surprised to find her Yeoman standing in front of her "what are you doing here Ensign?  I see enough of you when I am on duty."

"Sorry ma'am."  Ensign Milton said "but I overheard something I thought you might want to hear."  He peered down the corridor cautiously and then stepped forward and whispered "I know where some of those rumors came from."

"Rumors?"  Shiarrael's curiosity was now piqued and she slowly nodded her head and beckoned him in.  "It is late and I do not appreciate being interrupted."  But that was a lie; she truly did not mind the interruption.  She was certainly depressing herself with homesickness.  It was much easier when she was in the Galae and knew she would return home day but now it was different; she may never return.  Perhaps this is how poor Khre'Riov Alidar Jarok felt when he boarded the Enterprise.  She thought while leading the Ensign to the couch "sit down" she ordered more so then asked and made her way to the kitchen area.  Instead of replicating a warm glass of tea she activated the electronic kettle and waited for it to heat "what do you know?"

The Ensign seated himself on the couch and was nervously fidgeting as he watched Shiarrael with a look that suggested he was wondering whether or not she was going to pull out a weapon and charge him for some unforeseen reason "I was in the mess with my friends and one of them was mentioning that they ran into Ambassador Lamont.  Everything they said was paraphrased and I'm not sure how much is accur-"

"What did they say?"  Shiarrael asked cutting through the disclaimer.  Her eyes had narrowed ever so slightly as she pulled out two glasses and placed spiced tea filters into them.  When the kettle sounded she poured the steaming water through the tea filters and into the glasses, set them on a tray, and brought them to the coffee table.  Sitting down across from Milton she picked up a glass of the now steaming spice tea and waited "well?"

"He was saying stuff like you were paranoid and afraid to lose your power.  That the harder you clamp down on the ship the worse it will be.  They said he suggested that someone might die as a result of your actions."  Milton was clearly anxious; he was rubbing his hands constantly and looking past Shiarrael at the door.

"The Ambassador is certainly entitled to his opinion."  And he must certainly enjoy voicing it, she thought annoyed at his brazenness.  "Drink some tea and calm down Ensign.  I am Shiarrael, not Captain Rehu when I am off duty."  Although her greeting likely did little to ease the Ensign's anxiety "I appreciate you bringing this matter to my attention.  While some of what the Ambassador says does have merit, I can assure you no one will die as a result of my actions.  You can ease any concerns your friends may have about the Ambassador's comments regarding my behavior."  And how will I handle your behavior Ambassador?  Shiarrael wondered with slight displeasure.

Milton eased up apparently relieved by her reaction.  He reached over and picked up the steaming glass of tea "sorry to bother you at such a late hour sir."

"Shiarrael," She corrected him "or you may simply call me Shia.  Aiden is quite fond of that name.  I was originally quite annoyed by it but it has since grown on me."  She smiled "and it is quite alright.  It brings me ease to know that there are those on this ship who are at least considerate if not loyal.  When we return to Federation space, if you ever have a need, you may borrow my skiff for a few days."

His face lit up and Milton smiled "for real sir, I mean Miss Shiarrael?"

"You have proven that I can trust you."  She held her soft smile "if you hear anything more of interest please tell me."

Milton, apparently not a fan of the tea, grinned "I will sir" and set the mostly full glass back on its tray "I need to get going sir but I will be glad to help."  He stood up "that is if I can go?" he looked at her.

Elements sake!  Why would I keep you?  Her smile faded slightly into a more subdued and annoyed expression "of course you may leave."

Milton wore a grin as he made his way out.  When he was gone Shiarrael set her glass of the Vulcan tea back on its tray.  "Mister Lamont what will I do with you?"  She wondered aloud.  Of course this issue is entirely my fault.  I know how dangerous it can be to wound one's pride and he is certainly a prideful man.  She stared at the ceramic glasses on the tray.  I was wrong to think I could merely strip away your pride and toss you to the bowels of this ship to be forgotten.  Like a trapped thrai you are doing your best to make a scene.  I cannot put you out of your misery, so what will I do?  "That is the question."  She frowned and stood up.  The tray could wait till morning.  She was tired and this added dilemma was not helping matters.  She would get no sleep if she dwelled on it too much.

[End]

Captain Shiarrael Rehu
Commanding Officer
USS Charon