Saturday, January 9, 2010

[USS Charon] SD241001.09 || Joint Log "Pain and Healing" Part II || MCapt Nikolai Chernienko, Lt Cmdr Sakarra Tyrax

[USS Charon, Sickbay]

 

 

Sakarra moved towards an area of the carpet that was sufficient for even a man as tall as the Russian to stretch out comfortably and carefully unfolded the soft, warm wool before placing it on the ground.

"It takes a fair amount of courage to place one's soul into another's hands. While some will do it simply because they do not comprehend either the dangers or the rewards, or fail to grasp the very concept, I do not get the sense that either of the latter applies to you. In essence, Nikolai Chernienko, you have made an impression. Whatever your past, or future, at this very moment you are causing a Vulcan to experience astonishment and gratitude. Is it so difficult to believe I would cherish such a gift?"

 

Nikolai watched as she worked on the blanket and listened carefully to what she said. He continued to impress her and surprise her with his understanding and she certainly did the same to him. After a moment of thinking of something appropriate to say in response to that Nikolai stood from his chair. The effort it took was monumental after his trying day but he managed to do it. He looked at Sakarra and then bowed at the waist in the Vulcan way, it wasn't perfect but it was as close as he could manage.

 

"No Sakarravich it is not difficult to believe. The same feelings of astonishment and gratitude that you feel I reflect to you tenfold. Before your trust in me and taking the burden of my pain on yourself I knew only mistrust and hatred. Your wisdom and kindness has brought me back to a place I thought long dead, a place in my youth where I was happy. And for that you have my eternal gratitude. These sessions of yours have not only deadened my pain but rejuvenated my soul." he said to her in a kind voice as he gripped the edge of the chair so he wouldn't fall.

 

The young Vulcan stood perfectly still for several heartbeats, and then inclined her head slowly, making a small ceremonious gesture with her hands.

"Then I am more gratified still. A body's pain is endured more easily than a Katra's agony. For the moment however," she motioned to the thick, dark red wool on the floor with the serenity and unceasing good humor that was the hallmark of those living at T'Shen and still sometimes shines through in those who have studied there "I suggest we focus on undoing some of the former, yes?"

 

She could not help but be ... touched by both the Russian's words and actions. While it usually served to mildly exasperate her when another Vulcan insisted on strict protocol, she was fairly certain Nikolai offered such courtesy not because of some perceived sense of what was proper, but rather to demonstrate … no, not only gratitude. A genuine sense of affection towards one who was considered a friend? The young woman's already serene features took on an even gentler air as she pondered that thought.

 

Nikolai moved over toward the wool rug and very carefully lowered himself down to the floor. The movements caused him serious pain after his heavy exercise and his falls. But after a moment and stretched out as she was and winced as he got into a decent position."I would like that yes, But I must warn you I have been over taxing myself so my body will cause you more discomfort much like the first time we did this." he said nearly in an apologetic way. 

 

"Yes, I rather expected that." The young Vulcan said dryly, but there was no edge in her melodious voice, only a small hint of humor and gentle chiding

She thought about the most reasonable approach for a few seconds and then instructed the computer to raise the ambient temperature before moving into a kneeling position behind the tall human's head again.

"It is obvious you do not hesitate to inflict suffering on yourself, Nikolai. However, should you decide to … overtax … yourself once more, may I ask you to consider that I will bear the effects of your actions as well?"

The light shirt and pants provided by the sickbay staff were certainly an improvement over the impractical gowns usually forced upon patients, although the shirt alone could have served as a dress for the little Vulcan. Or possibly a tent.

Careful fingers undid the shirt's top buttons and Sakarra breathed deeply, bracing herself for what would likely be quite unpleasant.

"You have found time to practice the breathing exercises I showed you? It would certainly be helpful right now."

 

Nikolai nodded to her as she undid his top and focused himself into the relaxing breathing."I have Sakarravich...and I will remember that I am not only hurting myself but you in the future." he said softly to her as he began the exercise.

 

She waited until he had found the correct rhythm and nodded approval. This would be extraordinarily helpful. And he had indeed been practicing from the looks of it.

"I'kauk." She murmured, seeking out the points that would block pain first. Immediately, it came searing through her nerves, right on the heels of a wave of recognition that synchronized her mind to the familiar Other. It was happening faster every time now, the sensation that Olixinna had liked to refer to as a puzzle piece clicking into the right place to make a new image, or two ships docking to allow free passage of information and people, but it was a woefully inadequate metaphor.

Puzzle pieces and even ships could hardly learn from another, nor would they experience a deepening sense of intimacy from the sharing.  

 

Where Sakarra had been forced to seek the correct pressure points that first time, think, improvise, and compensate for the Russian's sheer size, she moved with a self-assured calm now, knowing precisely where to apply her hands and with just how much pressure.

But even so, she kept learning, found nerve endings both damaged and healing that she had not been able to access before. The sensation of muscles burning in agony subsided slowly and she let out a long breath.  

"I believe 'Ow' would be the appropriate statement, unless I should decide to employ a colorful metaphor." Her hands retreated slowly and she blinked "You have incurred muscle damage as well, but it might be wise to wait a few minutes before addressing that issue."

 

He breathed out as her skillful hands deadened the pain once more. His breathing came easier now thanks to her skill at neuropressure. He looked back over his shoulder at her and nodded."I think a colorful metaphor is appropriate for this yes." he said to her and sighed relaxing more. "Muscle damage yes.. Most likely. The Nanites injected into my body worked into my muscles and down into my bone marrow. That is if the vile scientists spoke true of what they were doing to me."

 

"I should not like to refer to those … individuals … as scientists." The young Vulcan stated, a decidedly dark undertone in her voice "But yes, from what I can tell at this point, your bone marrow has taken significant damage as well."

How one could inflict such a thing onto another living being and not be sickened by it, was beyond her. As a Vulcan, she was appalled. As a child born to a family of many scientists, she was offended beyond measure.

"I have already taken the liberty of writing to a … family member who specializes in Human and Andorian medicine, so he may make his notes available to Dr King. However, it may be some time until an answer reaches us. Your case is … unique, to say the least."

 

Sakarra stretched her aching muscles and finally her body ceased insisting that there should be pain. Slowly, she moved to Nikolai's side, the light fabric of her robe rustling in the silence. It was quite pleasant, in this secluded room without the noise that would usually filter through from sickbay, but she found she was missing the usually ever present hum of the engines. It was as if the entire ship had fallen into a deep slumber, and although Sakarra knew that at least Charon would wake refreshed and ready for new adventures, her thoughts lingered on those who would not wake again.

 

Too late she realized that his blue gaze had never left her face and he would have picked up both on her deeply rooted, burning anger and the sadness. "My apologies, Nikolai. It was not my intention to be so careless."

 

"I understand that Vulcans do not like letting their emotions show, and I will keep this between us Sakarravich. There is no shame in being sad or angry at the atrocities committed by NeoDyne and their allied Romulans. It proves that you are better than they are by being a being who still cares about life, not only on a logical level but on a spiritual level as well." he said to her gently.

 

"You must never feel embarrassed about sharing such deep personal turmoil to me. You have seen into my mind and soul it seems only proper that I get a glimpse into yours. And I would be less of a man if I didn't at least give back some of the understanding you have given me." he said to her seriously and his blue eyes lightened slightly on the edges as his scowl left him.

 

"You lost friends in this battle; I have as well though in different ways. If you need to speak to someone who understands the same feelings then please feel free to speak to me." he said to her and let her position herself to the next posture she needed to continue the treatments.

 

 

[To be continued ... ]

 

Lieutenant Commander Sakarra Tyrax
Chief Helm Officer
&
Marine Captain Nikolai Chernienko
Platoon Leader

 

USS Charon