Monday, April 19, 2010

[Trek Universe] SD 241004.19 Joint Log: Trek Commander and Beta Fleet Commander - Changing Guard

=/\= Starbase Versailles =/\=

When the screen cleared and VAdm Ashton appeared, Cerywyn inclined her head slightly, carefully replaying the words she'd given much thought to but never thought she'd given. "Good morning Admiral" she replied. "Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated" she said with a slight chuckle. "I thought I would reassure you personally. I'm also sure you have questions that I may be able to answer?"
 
"Quite," Ashton replied curtly, not at all surprised to see Cerywyn.  "Rumors are just that, rumors.  I try not to invest to much into them until I have evidence at hand.  Somehow I knew you were too tough to just roll over.  I had a dog like that once, missing a paw, his tail, half an ear and most of his teeth.  Damn thing lived to be twenty-two before he managed to pick a fight with a bobcat before it'd had enough."

Cerywyn couldn't refrain from chuckling at his story. It was quite an unexpected sound when she made it and usually caught people by surprise. The usually straight faced Admiral rarely let her guard down in public and few ever saw anything more than a stoic, strong woman. The smile altered her face, softened her features and in some ways showed the age of someone that was far older than most people ever remembered.  "That's a good story, Admiral.  I think I've got better odds than the dog though and yes, too stubborn to roll over and play dead just yet." She then quickly brought him up to speed on how events had transpired. "It would seem we were the unintentional targets of a trade deal gone bad and a drunken officers bad memory and thick fingers. He keyed in the numbers wrong and got us instead of his intended cargo." She shook her head. The officer is being dealt with along with any associated stragglers. A certain amount of smuggling and piracy is to be expected and perhaps even tolerated - it's good for Federation business and all that....but a little care has to be given - Kidnapping an Admiral draws too much attention to things better left not seen."

"Yes, we're never going to completely stop all piracy or smuggling.  We'd be foolish to think otherwise.  But I'm glad you're back and ready to go again."  Talladega smiled briefly.  "The business of kidnapping an Admiral is a rather important matter.  You're in charge of a very large area of space.  An area that has been very busy over the last year, wouldn't you agree?"

"It's been busy indeed. I'd say that it's a test by people unknown - seeing what the weak spots are are how to exploit them - or - testing the strong points and seeing how far we'll go or what it will take to break that strong hold." She sighed. "I don't like either option but reality is that as Beta Fleet Commander  I represent both a weakness and a strength and thereby a vulnerability not only for the fleet but for the federation as a whole. To much weight on one small body. If I'm not there to distribute the weight evenly,  the whole can come to  a standstill. We have to correct that and in doing so we'll make a powerful statement to anyone watching."
 
"Which is why I think we need support out there, particularly the Yadalla Sector."  Ashton let her take it in for a moment.  "Nobody knows the sector better than you right now.  Which is why I'd like for you to consider being the Sector Commander for Yadalla again."

She shook her head and smiled slightly. "Great minds think alike Admiral" She input the codes and sent the transmission. "I was planning to resign from the position of Beta Fleet Commander. I feel that I put the fleet too much in jeopardy...too big a cog in the wheel and perhap we need to spread the cogs out a bit so to speak." She paused and took in what he was saying and nodded. "That's fine by me. I'm familiar with the area and some firmly established ties that I'm not sure we want to see come undone either." Her face grew distant and she frowned slightly. "There are many who will see this as a punishment for some perceived wrong....I'm sure the rumor mills will be inflamed with ideas and none of them true."
 
"They always are its unavoidable but I think this is the right move.  It really isn't a step back as much as it is a step sidways and you need the help out there."
 

"I'd like to continue to work with the Enterprise Task group in the Deta Quadrant. He and I have common interest there. I realize that Commodore Archer will report directly to the Beta Fleet Commander when he or she is appointed - but my life is as much the DQ as the BQ is now my home. We have a common interest in keeping it safe. I'd like to continue to be involved with his work as both our schedules and time allows." She laughed "not sure when that will be....but" she shrugged..."one can never know."
 
"Granted.  That shouldn't be a problem.  In fact I think its a splendid idea.  Hopefully with a little more support out there we can reduce your work day from twenty-four hours to twenty-three."  Ashton smiled briefly, clearly amused at the somewhat inadequate joke he just made.

"You won't hear any complaints from me. This is definitely not a one person job. Any help is appreciated."


"Fear and regret are two things that rob of us tomorrow. Create your own life and then go out and live it with absolutely no regrets."
========================================================
"When there's strong emotion, intimacy already exists. Learn to argue constructively. A fair fight can increase understanding."