Wednesday, March 24, 2010

[USS Charon] SD241003.24 || Joint Backlog || "Delivering Deception" - Cpt Rehu & Amb Lamont

[ BACKLOG – Takes Place Before Current Events ]

 

### Personal Quarters – Deck Two ###

Lamont threw several books over his shoulder and scattered padds across his office desk searching for his notes on certain matters.  At last he found what he was looking for and copied the padds contents to his computer.  After some work he finally had complied a detailed report and was about to send it when he suddenly stopped.  No.  He would deliver this in person.  He had put a great deal of thought and research into fulfilling this request.  There would no doubt be questions for which he would need to answer in person.  Not exactly relishing the thought, he grabbed his uniform jacket and quickly pulled it on.  Grabbing a cup of cold tea at the edge of his obsidian desk he gulped down the contents, having had little to eat or drink in the last 24 hours, before collecting several padds and exiting his quarters.  His destination:  the Bridge.

###  Main Bridge  ###

The Ambassador stepped from the turbolift onto the always lively bridge and was immediately taken by the immense beauty before him on the ship’s viewing screen.  He had been so busy as of late he had not paid any attention to the starry splendor outside in the stellar nursery.  Rounding the railing, Lamont found the captain in her chair with her usual, characteristic scowl upon her features.  Did the woman ever smile?  He wondered.

“Captain, might I have a brief moment of your time in private”, Lamont asked.  “I have several proposals for your review per our last conversation.”

Shiarrael glanced at Lamont, talking to him often left her with a headache- something she could ill afford right now, but she did give him a task.  Smothering the sigh that attempted to edge out she nodded her head “very well, but make it brief ambassador.  Time is something I cannot give out freely right now.”

Ian nodded and followed the captain into her ready room.

### Captain’s Ready Room – Main Bridge ###

“Sir, I have here a carefully crafted plan per our recent conversation in the turbolift about a certain Vulcan problem.”  Lamont laid a padd in front of the captain for her review.  “Per your request I have taken the initiative and developed several contingency plans woven into a complex ruse should the Charon stumble upon the Temp’Shiar and should the Romulans appear before we can destroy it as you fear they might.  It is my hope that if the worst does occur this plan can be activated to ‘buy’ you the time you require to conduct whatever operations or actions are required.

 “I will attempt to summarize its contents to expedite matters.  You no doubt are busy and I know how much you enjoy our chats together.  However, I would be quite remiss to hold you from your duties.”  He couldn’t resist prodding the captain just a tad.

He was long worded- it was this particular trait that absolutely annoyed her, but one that could be used effectively against her kin.  If they did not tire of him early and destroy the Charon at least “mister Lamont, just get to it- as I have said, time is something I do not have in abundance.”

Ian nodded at the captain’s interruption and moved to her window peering out into the multi-colored gases and new stars.  It was a breathtaking sight.  Hopefully it was not his last.

Turning back to the captain, Lamont continued.  “Captain, despite whatever faith in my abilities you may have, I cannot under any circumstances stop Romulan warships and its commanders who are hell bent on obtaining this Pandora’s box the Vulcan’s appear to have constructed.  Even with my skills, which I submit are formidable, mere words would have little effect on your people given what is at stake.  Romulans are a people of action as I no doubt know having experienced that first hand on several occasions.”  Despite recent and fresh memories of the interior of the brig, Lamont continued.

Raising his voice just a bit to deliver his point, Lamont continued.  “However with your permission and indulgence along with some props and clever acting I believe I can slow them down long enough for you to accomplish your goals should the worst indeed occur.

If we do find this ship I assume your goal will be to destroy it as quickly as possible.  I have given much thought to this; however, should there be survivors aboard you will be presented with a substantial dilemma.  The weight of that decision I do not envy however should there be survivors and should you chose to rescue them – time will not be on your side.  If the Romulans make an appearance matters will quickly become problematic with each moment a step closer toward a dark future.

My plan is as simple as it is complex.  It is made up of the following components if you are interested in hearing my ideas.”

“Continue.”  Shiarrael said tiring of his long winded dialogue.

“Upon activation of this subterfuge the following must occur in clockwork order. Beginning with the following if we have any chance of stalling the Romulans.

First.

 I will need to appear to be in command of the Charon as its acting captain.  I will inform the Romulans that Shiarrael T’Rehu is dead.  This should cause them roughly one to two minutes pause given such a radical claim.  They may or may not believe it, but they will be forced to contend with the statement nonetheless.  Since they will be most likely arrive in a supreme position of power they should be willing to speak briefly and inquire as to your alleged demise fearing no retribution or event beyond their ability to influence.

My part will be simply as an actor.  I do not seek nor desire any trappings of command.

Second.

And the most ingenious part of the deception - I anticipate the Romulans will grow tired of talking roughly two minutes after I inform them about your demise.  I will of course threaten to destroy the Vulcan ship if they attempt to secure it.  They will no doubt ignore my bluff.  When they do decide to act, I will of course destroy the Vulcan ship with the Charon’s weapons.”

Lamont raised a finger with a strong smile to prevent the captain from interrupting.

“I of course will not actually do any such thing.  Engineering believes they can extend the Charon’s shields around the Vulcan ship and apply a..what was it…general dampening field.  This should block the ship’s emissions giving the appearance of nothingness timed in conjunction with a weapons display which while impressive will actually be several torpedoes and phasers set at low levels simply for dramatic effect.  In addition to the dampening field a holographic projection of the starfield deployed in front of the Temp’Shiar should mask the ship long enough to fool the Romulans into believing it was destroyed.  It is nothing more than high tech smoke and mirrors.  The Romulans will likely see through the ruse given enough time.

With the Vulcan starship seemingly destroyed the Romulans will turn their aggression upon the Charon.  However I have anticipated this as well.  At this juncture I estimate that approximately eight to ten minutes will have passed.  I am afraid this is the maximum amount of time I can procure given the variables involved and even this is simply an estimate.  As you well know, things seldom, if ever go exactly to plan.

At this time I would hope the Vulcan ship can be destroyed in reality with enough time having been procured to perform search and rescue operations and evacuate the Vulcan ship of personnel.

The Romulans will want some prize to claim if they are denied the Vulcan secrets and will be quite enraged once they realize they have been duped.

The computer core, personnel, secrets, and technology of a Federation ship may suffice though I doubt they would be willing to destroy us and return to their superiors empty handed.  Here is where I must attempt a supreme bluff.  You captain will need to initiate the ship’s auto destruct sequence.  I do not believe we can fake this as Romulan sensors would most likely detect any tricks having been fooled once before.  They will be vigilant.

The Romulans will have two things against them – if they attempt to seize the Charon you will of course destroy it to prevent it from falling into enemy hands.  I will also inform them that should the Charon’s fate end in its destruction that Starfleet Command has already been briefed on the situation and that if no future communications are received they will know precisely what has occurred.

If our fate is death then our destruction will expose the Romulan’s plans, create a severe diplomatic and political incident and isolate the Empire reducing its power lest it risk all out war with the Federation over the Charon’s demise at their hands.

Upon realizing this fact, they will have no choice but to let us go.  They cannot destroy us and an attempt to board or seize the Charon will inevitably result in its destruction via use of the auto-destruct mechanisms.  Starfleet will know what has happened, assuming you send them a coded message now informing them of our current predicament.

Unfortunately, sir, this plan while ingeniously clever, will not win you any friends within the Empire.  If you show your face you will most certainly be branded a traitor in the eyes of your own kind.  The ruse of your death while convenient also serves to shield you from such dishonor.”

Lamont paused for a moment realizing he was treading on sensitive ground.  “Captain, I do not know of the details and it is none of my business however I do know that you did not leave the Empire on good terms.  While the details are not known to me I do not wish to see you utterly ruined as a traitor which may cost you any hopes of one day returning or indeed the friendship or loyalty of those you may know.

Lamont’s tone changed slightly as he continued.  “We do not get along well Captain, however I would not wish such a stigma on even my worst enemy.  I have felt the pain of rejection as my own family’s name has been tarnished by false accusations which I have yet been unable to disprove.  I would not wish to see you unnecessarily bear such a brand though I suspect you would be able to endure the hardship given what I know of your character.

I submit that lying about your demise may indeed be cowardly, however I feel you deserve every consideration given the nature of this mission.”

Shiarrael stared at him for a long second.  “I apparently have underestimated your abilities…” although the suggestion that she play dead seemed to be more for personal pleasure for the Commander she nodded her head “very well, implement what you can.  Work with Commander Falcon and Tyrax- they will be in charge if I am ‘absent’ though I believe such subterfuge will be short lived, it will certainly distract them.”

Lamont nodded.  “You will have my best sir.  I pray it is indeed enough given what is at stake.”  With a curt bow the Ambassador turned and left the captain in peace to prepare for perhaps the toughest and shortest negotiation of his career.

 

~ Fin ~

 

_______________________________

Captain Shiarrael Rehu

 

And

 

Ambassador Ian Lamont